The day’s agenda
Winter Commencement is scheduled to take place on December 17, at 10 a.m. at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall (1001 E. 17th Street).
- Graduates should be at Gladstein Fieldhouse (next door to Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall) by 8 a.m. for the procession lineup. All graduates must wear custom IU apparel at Commencement.
- Doors open at 8 a.m. Guests can go directly to the seating area. Get more information on accessibility accommodations ahead of time.
- Procession of graduates begins at 8:45 a.m.
- The ceremony begins at 10 a.m.
- The ceremony includes the procession of the platform party, remarks from President Whitten and Provost Shrivastav, words from a graduate representative, and a speech from a Commencement speaker. Then the induction of the graduates into the IU Alumni Association takes place.
- Next is the conferral of degrees. Because of the large number of graduates, the doctoral degree recipients are the only graduates whose names are announced.
- The ceremony will last approximately 90 minutes, ending around 11:30 a.m.
- The recessional concludes the ceremony. Graduates can wait for family and friends at Gladstein Fieldhouse or on the grounds of Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. It’s a good idea to select a designated meeting spot beforehand.