Indiana University operates Memorial Stadium and Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall in accordance with best practices for guest safety as recommended by Indiana University Public Safety and Institutional Assurance. These practices include the use of magnetometer screening for events such as games, major concerts, and Commencement. Upon arrival at the venue, guests walk through metal detectors, and bags are inspected by trained security staff. To expedite entry, please limit bags to small purses, clutches, or diaper bags. Items including large bags, backpacks, and wrapped gifts will not be permitted in the venue. Similarly, graduating students are screened upon arrival at the graduate robing and lineup location. This policy is in place not as a response to any incident nor to any threat, and it reflects similar policies at university and professional venues around the country. For more information, contact email@example.com.
Staying safe at Commencement
If rain is expected at Undergraduate Commencement
- The ceremony will be held outdoors in Memorial Stadium. Robing will take place in the nearby Mellencamp Pavilion.
- Free IU ponchos will be distributed to all guests and graduates at the ceremony if rain is in the forecast.
- For the safety of our guests, umbrellas are prohibited in Memorial Stadium.
If severe weather is expected at Undergraduate Commencement
- Because of the high number of graduates expected to participate, it is very important that graduates follow closely the schedule below.
- The ceremony will be held in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, in two sessions. Robing will take place in nearby Wilkinson Hall.
- Graduates in these units participate in the 10 a.m. severe weather session (arrive by 7:30 a.m.):
- Indiana University Kelley School of Business
- Indiana University Jacobs School of Music
- Indiana University O'Neill School of Public and Environmental Affairs
- School of Education
- School of Informatics, Computing, and Engineering
- School of Nursing
- School of Optometry
- School of Public Health
- School of Social Work
- Graduates in these units participate in the 3 p.m. severe weather session (arrive by 12:30 p.m.):
- All College of Arts and Sciences departments, as well as the following schools within the College:
- Indiana University Eskenazi School of Art, Architecture, and Design
- Indiana University Hamilton Lugar School of Global and International Studies
- The Media School
Severe Weather Parking
In the event of Undergraduate Commencement being held in Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall, please refer to the parking map and the information below:IU Bloomington Athletics Complex
1001 E. 17th Street
Bloomington, IN 47408
General parking entrances: Gates 2, 6, 8, 9, 12, and 14
Wheelchair and limited mobility parking entrance: Gate 4
Check these sources for weather updates beginning at 6 a.m. on May 9: